- 2019 World Cup winning Silver Ferns team the average age was 30, they didn’t specialise in Netball until between the ages of 17 & 20 and they participated in an average of 3 sports through secondary school.
- We see a 300% increase in injuries from April to May in our 10–19-year-olds, which makes us wonder are we preparing them well?
- Once you have sustained a significant ankle sprain you have a 50% chance of re-spraining within the next 24 months.
- Moderate to severe ankle instability has been reported among 64% of Netball players with a previously sprained ankle.
- Landings: you jump and land up to 60 times during a game of netball.
- Poor landings are the most common mechanism of injury.
- In the heat of a battle (competition), you don’t rise to your level, you sink to the habits you have created in your practices.
- Less than 10% of concussions involve loss of consciousness.
- A concussion is technically a mild traumatic brain injury.
- In netball players are moving forward 28% of the time.
“A player who can cope with the physical demands can explore the game”, Sandra Edge, Silver Fern #75
Contact your NetballSmart Centre Activator for any information on email / 021 212 6081
You can find more tips, videos and resources on the NetballSmart website.